How we teach your child to self rescue
We often look at swimming as a recreational activity. But more importantly, it’s a survival skill. Water is life-threatening: on average, 5 to 6 young children drown each year in the Netherlands. Many more are admitted to a hospital after non-fatal drownings. This is why Geboren Zwemmers teaches children from an early age how to self rescue when they fall into the water and how to safely splash and play in and around water.
Rollover and float
Just as your baby first learns to roll, then crawl, and then to walk, learning to swim is a step-by-step-process. We start by teaching children breath control and how to make a turn to air without any assistance. They learn to relax, breathe and float on their backs until they are found.
Once children start walking, we add kicking and rolling from back to belly. This is where the child will master its swim-float-swim skills.
Once your child has mastered these skills, it is important to keep swim-float-swimming. Especially for children (who grow so fast), it is important to keep feeling the shifting balance in their bodies while in the water.
We teach swimming according to the Learn to Swim-program, at first we start with swim-float-swim survival with the aim of reaching self-reliance in the event of a fall in the water.
- (grade 0-3) We start teaching the little ones, babies aged 6 months and up, to roll independently to air, to breath and to float on their backs.
- (grade 0-5) In the same number of lessons, children who can walk, also learn to kick and roll back into the water. This allows them to swim-float-swim and bridge a short distance.
- (grade 6-10) We teach your child all strokes and more. Together, we work towards obtaining a swimming diploma. Our diploma meets the Dutch National Standard for Swimming Safety and is the equivalent to the Dutch diploma C.
- (grade 11 and 12) in competition swimming we teach your child butterfly, turning points and the Individual Medley (IM)
Fast track program
Are you going on a lakeside holiday or to a cottage with a private swimming pool? Are you moving to an area near the water? Do you want your child to quickly become self-reliant in the water?
In our one-on-one fast track program, we work together intensively to teach the skills that suit your child’s developmental stage, in just a few weeks. Depending on the number of lessons you follow each week, the fast track program takes up to 5 weeks maximum (with three lessons per week).
Experience it for yourself and join us in the water!
Are you curious about our Smart fish method and would you like to experience a class for yourself? Sign up for a free trial lesson!
Aiden had been working towards his A diploma for two years. I felt that progress was slow in these regular swimming lessons. Hanneke quickly figured out exactly what he needed and Aiden made great progress! Within two months he has learned the breaststroke and front crawl. He dives to the bottom of the pool and has so much fun in the water!
- Renée Van Barneveld-Van der Wiel, mother of Aiden